It is a dark time for the Galaxy. In the aftermath of the Battle of Endor, the Galactic Empire has fragmented and the Rebel Alliance, seizing the opportunity presented by Emperor Palpatine’s demise, has formed the New Republic. After a further year of conflict, a fragile peace was agreed between the remnants of the Empire and the fractious Republic when the two sides signed the Galactic Concordance. Despite the agreement, ambitious Imperials seek to rebuild the shattered Empire whilst the Republic struggles to sustain itself. Meanwhile countless other organisations seek to further their own interests amidst the turmoil….
Timeline of Galactic History
From the formation of the Galactic Empire to its downfall…
All dates are in relation to the signing of the Galactic Concordance, which was agreed one year after the Battle of Endor. Dates are either Before the Galactic Concordance (BGC) or After the Galactic Concordance (AGC).
- Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, who is secretly the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, reorganises the Republic into the Galactic Empire and proclaims himself Emperor.
- Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader.
- The Jedi Order is disbanded and its members are virtually wiped out when Palpatine commands the Clone Army to execute Order 66, a secret contingency order implanted in the clonetroopers since their inception. Only a handful of Jedi evade death, and the survivors are hunted by Vader.
- The Clone Wars come to an end when Darth Vader slaughters the Separatist leadership on Mustafar. He is subsequently tracked by Obi-Wan Kenobi and left for dead after a duel. Although severely injured he is rescued by Darth Sidious.
- Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa are born on Polis Massa. Luke is taken to Tatooine to be brought up by Owen and Beru Lars, and Leia is adopted by Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, two of the remaining Jedi, go into exile. Kenobi settles on Tatooine to watch over Luke from afar, and Yoda travels to the distant swamp world of Dagobah.
- The first stirrings of rebellion begin. Small networks of groups opposed to Palpatine’s reign begin to form. Some prominent Senators, including Bail Organa of Alderaan and Mon Mothma of Chandrila, become involved in the fledgling rebel movement.
- The Empire begins a massive program of militarisation, using its growing military to subjugate the worlds in the Rim that had fallen beyond the former Republic’s control.
- After years of openly opposing the Emperor, Mon Mothma, is forced to step down from the Senate. She goes into hiding before Imperial agents are able to arrest her.
- The Alliance to Restore the Republic, commonly known as the Rebel Alliance, is formed. Mon Mothma is its leader.
- The Alliance establishes its main base on Dantooine.
- The Rebels relocate their main base to the moon of Yavin 4.
- Construction of the Death Star, an armoured space station with enough firepower to destroy an entire planet, is completed.
- Spies working for the Rebel Alliance obtain the plans to the Death Star.
- Princess Leia arrives at Tatooine in an effort to find Obi-Wan Kenobi to enlist his help against the Empire. She is pursued by Darth Vader, who captures her. The plans for the Death Star and a message from the Princess are hidden in R2-D2, who uses an escape pod to reach the surface of the desert planet.
- Luke Skywalker finds R2-D2 and C-3PO.
- Luke meets Obi-Wan Kenobi and, after his family are murdered by Imperial Stormtroopers, he agrees to travel with Kenobi to Alderaan and train as a Jedi.
- Luke and Obi-Wan meet Han Solo, the captain of the Millennium Falcon, and Chewbacca, his Wookiee first mate. They agree to take Skywalker and Kenobi to Alderaan.
- Princess Leia is taken to the Death Star where she is tortured by Vader. She refuses to give up the location of the Alliance’s main base. Grand Moff Tarkin, the commander of the Death Star, threatens to destroy her home planet of Alderaan if she refuses to co-operate. Leia tells Tarkin that the main base is on Dantooine, and the Grand Moff proceeds to order the destruction of Alderaan regardless.
- Skywalker and his companions arrive in the Alderaan system shortly after the planet is destroyed. The Millennium Falcon is caught in the Death Star’s tractor beam and forced aboard.
- Skywalker, Solo and Chewbacca rescue Princess Leia and escape from the Death Star, but not before Obi-Wan Kenobi is killed by Darth Vader.
- Using a tracking device hidden aboard the Falcon, the Empire locates the rebel base on Yavin 4.
- The Battle of Yavin takes place, resulting in the Alliance’s first major victory against the Empire. The Death Star is destroyed and Grand Moff Tarkin is killed.
- The Alliance evacuates from the Yavin system to avoid the inevitable Imperial reprisal.
- The Galactic Empire discovers the location of the Alliance base on Hoth.
- The Imperials launch a ground assault against Echo Base, resulting in an Alliance withdrawal.
- Darth Vader pursues the rebels across the Galaxy, eventually tracking Solo and Leia to Cloud City on Bespin. He prepares a trap for Luke Skywalker.
- Skywalker meets Jedi Master Yoda on the swamp planet of Dagobah and begins his training as a Jedi Knight. He leaves Dagobah and travels to Cloud City.
- Han Solo is frozen in carbonite and given to Boba Fett for delivery to Jabba the Hutt.
- Vader engages in a lightsaber duel with Skywalker. He reveals that he is Skywalker’s father.
- Skywalker is rescued by Leia, and they escape Bespin.
- The Empire’s efforts to construct a second Death Star are nearing completion. The station is constructed around the isolated forest moon of Endor. Bothan spies uncover its location at great cost, and pass the information to the Alliance.
- Luke, Leia, Lando and Chewbacca rescue Han Solo from Jabba the Hutt on Tatooine. Jabba is killed and his criminal empire collapses.
- Luke returns to Dagobah to visit Yoda, who cryptically informs him that there is another Skywalker. He realises that Leia is his sister.
- The Alliance prepares to launch an assault against the Death Star. Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Han Solo and a strike team of Alliance special forces use a stolen Imperial shuttle to infiltrate the forest moon. Their mission is to destroy the shield generator protecting the incomplete space station. Vader senses Luke’s presence.
- Luke surrenders to Imperial forces and is turned over to Vader. Vader brings Luke before the Emperor, who is supervising the final stages of the Death Star’s construction.
- The shield generator is destroyed and the Alliance fleet arrives at the Endor system. The Battle of Endor begins.
- Palpatine reveals that he had planned for the Alliance to learn of the second Death Star. An Imperial fleet arrives from the far side of the planet, trapping the Alliance fleet. A devastating space battle ensues.
- On the ground, the battle is fierce. Han, Leia and Chewbacca are killed.
- The Death Star is destroyed with Palpatine, Vader and Luke aboard. Lando Calrissian and Wedge Antilles are caught in the explosion as they try to escape the space station’s superstructure.
- The remnants of the Imperial fleet retreat from the Endor system. As Palpatine’s demise is announced, an uprising against Imperial rule begins.
- Countless fierce battles take place between Rebel and Imperial forces. The Alliance makes significant gains, taking vast swathes of territory from the Empire. Significant pockets of Imperial space remain however.
- The New Republic is formed, with Mon Mothma sworn in as its first Chancellor. She is killed several weeks later by an Imperial assassin and her replacement as Chancellor is Korvald Tapestri, a former Republic Senator from Corellia and a powerful figure in galactic politics.
- Both the Empire and the Republic, having suffered a significant losses, fight a final decisive battle over the desert world of Jakku. The Republic is victorious, forcing the Empire to the negotiating table.
- The New Republic and the remnants of the Empire sign the Galactic Concordance. The Galactic Civil War comes to an end, but is rapidly replaced by a Galactic Cold War.
- The fragmented Empire, although still formally a unified government, is split into several factions spread across the Galaxy.
- The New Republic is in turmoil as it battles to secure itself and bring order to its territory.